Friday, October 30, 2009


CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE


    A DIY project that I had made in 2009, the Fishing Rod Building Jig or Fishing Rod Guide Wrapping Jig. Back then whenever my rod guide broken I needed to send it to the tackle shop for repair which is a distance away from where I lived. Most of the time it also took quite a while to repair and I was forced to stay dry (no fishing) during the wait. Besides the long wait, the repairing cost of the rod guide is quite expensive too, I once broke the rod tip and it cost me $50 to had it replaced.
Broken guide
    I decided to do some researches on how to repair the fishing rod guide on my own. When I realized that it isn't that difficult to do it I began to practice on one of my fishing rod which suffered broken rod guide. Very soon after I found out that the wrapping work was quite a tedious job and I figured that a fishing rod guide wrapping jig might be helpful, it would also make the wrapping job faster.


Commercial Jig
Pro DIY Jig
Complicated DIY Jig
     Again more studies and researches was made, the ridiculous price tag for a commercial rod building jig forced me to start another DIY project, which was the Fishing Rod Guide Wrapping Jig. I went through the junk collection of mine and came out with a prototype of this fishing rod guide wrapping jig. It was made from a pair of Shower Sprinkler holders, a small AC fan motor and some other miscellaneous items. 


Shower Sprinkle Holder
Small AC Fan Motor
Push Button Control Switch
The Prototype
     After some test on the prototype I began to build the jig using some plywood, the end result was satisfying and I managed to increase the wrapping speed by ten fold! I started to proceed onto the next project as soon as I done the repair.
Groove was cut
Fan Motor Mounted
Rubber Band as Belt
The First Model of Completed Jig
     A Pioneer thirteen footer surf casting fishing rod was bought some time ago during the sales promotion at this tackle shop, it was a impulsive purchase and it was meant for the spinning reel. The rod was under utilized as most of the time I would prefer my old pal, the Loomis & Franklin, another reason was I began to fall in love with the multiplier reel. When I received my newly acquired toy, the Abu Garcia 6600 C4, which is a multiplier reel, I tried pairing it with the Pioneer thirteen footer, the result was bad. I couldn't really cast far and I spent most of the time clearing the "Bird Nest" on the Abu during fishing. 

Abu Garcia 6600 C4 with Upgraded Mono Mag and CT Cage
    The thought of buying a new fishing rod couldn't materialize as I was out of budget after buying the Abu. After some thought I decided to convert the Pioneer fishing rod to suit for multiplier reel. I had read about some anglers converting it and it's workable. So the new project began, I downloaded the data sheet for rod guide placement from a famous UK Rod Builder and I had learnt on how to determine the backbone of the blank. The Pioneer was striped naked and new coating of paintwork was given. But as I started the rod guide wrapping, another issues surfaced. I found that the jig that I had made was limited to the smaller size rod, it couldn't fit in the thick long surf casting rod like the Pioneer.

    I had to halt the Pioneer rebuilding project and switching to yet another project, the Upgrading of the Fishing Rod Guide Wrapping Jig. The old jig was given a complete makeover and my daughter's old stroller was dismantled. (When I found it covering with dust in the store room) It's wheels were made into good use, three wheels were grouped to form as the blank holder, the top wheel was fitted with a arm made out of wood, it was then fitted with a small spring to give some strength for it to claim down the blank. The AC fan motor had a speed controller added, with that speed controller I could set the pace according to my need, it was extremely helpful on the Epoxy drying process too. 
The Stroller's Wheels with Wooden Arms
Constructing the Jig Table
Added Speed Control
Three Wheels Clamp 
The Blank
New Position New Wrapping
It was Converted from a Spinning Reel Rod
Almost Complete
    And there you have it! The new fishing rod guide wrapping jig was born, as you can see in the video, it spun smoothly and silently, which also gave me an advantage to work into the late night. I continued on the Pioneer rebuilding and two weeks later the Pioneer was reborn!

    On the 10th of October 2009 the All New Thirteen Footer Surf Casting Fishing Rod which paired with the Abu Garcia 6600 C4 made it's debut at the Air Papan Beach, Malaysia, since then the rod roamed together with me until today.

In Action at Air Papan Beach, Mersing, Malaysia

**Share this video by copy the link below
https://goo.gl/pzva95

**Click here to watch it on YouTube

**Click here to watch my trip at Air Papan Beach with the Bait Launcher

**Click here to SUBSCRIBE now!

**Click here to check out my other videos

Find me at other platform;

Google+  Facebook  Instagram  Twitter Tumblr  Pinterest  Panoramio
========­==­­=================­=­================­=

Always Tight Line, Hardcore is the Spirit!

0 comments:

Tide Table Singapore

Reach me here

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

About

Featured Post

Surecatch Spinning Reel Anti Reverse Easy Fix

Tide Table Singapore

Popular Posts